Expense Claims in OnRamp
OnRamp ERP has a built-in expense claim system that will allow your staff to quickly and efficiently submit their expenses for approval by managers and processing by your finance department.
When an employee spends money for business purposes, the employee should enter an expense claim, wherein the employee submits an expense form and all their receipts. That expense is then paid back by the organization.
To do this in OnRamp requires 5 phases: Setup, Email, Submit, Approve, and Vouch. This blog post will cover the setup and emailing portions. Please visit our Online Help for more information on how to maximize your OnRamp ERP usage.
After you have finalized the financial and bank setup sections of the OnRamp ERP setup, complete the following items:
- Local Codes[S1502] – Add the required records to the following Code Groups:
- EXPTYPEis used to setup the expense claim codes.
- Expense Type[S2134] – Add the required expense types that will applied against expense claims.
- Employee List Master[S2489] – Setup a list of employees who can submit expense claims. OnRamp recommends you change the List ID to EXPENSE.
- Employee List Ownership[S2490] – Assign which employees a supervisor or manager can approve expense claims submitted on the owned employee list.
- Business Info[S1824] – Assign the expense service email address and password on the following Code Groups:
- EXPENSE_EMAIL_ACCis used to set the Expense Email Address
- EXPENSE_EMAIL_PWis used to set the password for Expense Email Address
- Most companies require at least two EXPTYPE codes:
- Personal for employee personal funds
- <Credit>for employee issued company credit cards. The code name should be the name of the card issuer. For example, if you have three company credit cards (MasterCard, Visa, and AmEx), then you would need one EXPTYPE code for each: MC, VISA, AMEX.
- Some examples of expense types entered on Expense Type [S2134] include: maintenance, mileage, office supplies, parking, training, meal, airfare, car rental, hotel, fuel/gas, entertainment
- If you regularly submit expense claims in more than one currency, OnRamp recommends that you have a different type for each currency to differentiate between expenses and to account for exchange rates.
Use your smartphone to take pictures of receipts and attach them to an email that you can send to OnRamp. OnRamp will then create a pending claim record for each attachment. You can then update the record with the correct date, description, type, mileage, and amount on Pending Expense Claims [S4245] screen.
Before emailing your receipts, your email must be added to your user ID account on User Options screen 2065.
Step 1 – Email expense claims:
- If required, create a digital copy of the receipt(s) via camera or scanner.
- Attach the copy of the receipt(s) (image or PDF file) to an email.
- Email the attachments to your expense claim service email account.
Step 2 – Complete expense claims:
- Navigate to the Pending Expense Claims [S4245] screen.
- Enter the Employee ID.
- Select the pending expense record and, on the screen task bar, click Edit.
- Update the required information: Date, Type, Description, Mileage, and Amount.
- Click Save.
You have added an expense claim. Next, use the Expense Claim Form [S2135] screen to load the claim to a form and submit it for approval.
- Allow up to 10 minutes after emailing the OnRamp expense claims service before the pending claims can be seen on screen 4245.
- If OnRamp cannot find your email address associated to a user account, you will get a rejection email. Under the User Options screen, confirm that the email listed on Email is the same as the one you are using to email the expense claim service.
- The date on the record will be the date that the email is sent.