OnRamp MMD Keystrips
April 18, 2022
To improve OnRamp usability on the shop floor, OnRamp has developed keystrips.
The keystrip is a small keyboard that has 16 easy to press buttons, which an operator can press while wearing protective gloves. These keystrips are plugged in, via USB, to an OnRamp Shop Monitor and are programmed by you with 2 specific actions for 12 of the keys.
The Keystrip has 16 buttons, where the 8 yellow buttons and 4 blue buttons are programmable:
- Button 1 (Grey): Press and hold the Shift button to call a second function from the other buttons.
- Buttons 2 – 9 (Yellow): These buttons are typically used to access screens.
- Buttons 10 – 13 (Blue): These buttons are typically used to call or alert a person or department.
- Button 14 (Red): Back button
- Button 15 (Green): Forward
- Button 16 (White): Return / Enter button. Shift + White runs the Show command that returns you to the shop monitor main screen.
Note: Buttons 18 – 32 are accessed by holding down Shift and pressing buttons 2 – 16.
On Shop Monitor Keystrip Manager > Keystrip Configuration frame, you can configure the keys to perform certain functions. Keys with a Key Type of:
- Screen – Used to open a screen on the shop monitor. On Open Screen, select the screen. Then enter the label stating which screen number will be opened.
- Call – Used to call a shop alert. On Shop Alert Cat, select the alert. Then enter the label stating what alert is called.
- CharCode – Used to send a character code to the shop monitor. On Key Code, select the key. Then enter a label stating what is sent.
- WorkInst – Used to display a work instruction. Select the Work Inst Cat following by the Work Inst Type. Then enter a label stating what work instruction is displayed.
To use the keystrip, you have to:
- Use Shop Monitor Keystrip Manager [S1058] to configure and label the programmable keystrip buttons.
- Physically label the keystrip.
- Install the keystrip at the physical location and plug it into the respective MMD via USB.
- On Device/ Shop Monitor Manager [S2605], use the Screen Config column to select the keystrip configuration.
Once this setup is complete, you can use the keystrip by pressing the buttons to perform the configured function, like opening a screen in OnRamp or alerting a supervisor.
Use Shop Monitor Keystrip Configuration [R1054] to review how each of your keystrips are configured.
Manage MMD Keystrip
Use the Shop Monitor Keystrip Manager [S1058] screen to add, edit, copy, or delete machine monitor keystrip configurations.
To add keystrip configurations:
- Navigate to the Shop Monitor Keystrip Manager [S1058] screen.
- On the screen task bar, click Add.
- Enter the desired information.
- Click OK.
Based on the selected Type, Keystrip or Keyboard, the Keystrip Configuration frame will populate with the default available number of programmable keys.
To program keys:
- On Shop Monitor Keystrip Manager, with the keystrip configuration group ID selected, click on the Keystrip Configuration frame.
- Select the desired line.
- On the screen task bar, click Edit.
- Update the desired fields.
- Click OK.
- Repeat steps 2 – 5 to edit the remaining keys.
You have added a keystrip configuration.
Paul Henriques is the current Manager for the Documentation and Training team at OnRamp Solutions Inc. Paul has over 15 years of experience in writing training material and documentation for various software companies.
Having had to learn OnRamp ERP to better document it’s features and write training material; Paul is constantly stunned by the amount of thought that goes into each feature and the capabilities that are within the program, with features for all the various business units of a manufactory.
Paul spends most of his free time keeping up to date on all the latest news and best practices for the manufacturing sector.
Paul’s favorite manufacturing quote:
“There is one rule for the industrialist and that is: Make the best quality of goods possible at the lowest cost possible, paying the highest wages possible.” – Henry Ford
View all posts
Leave a Comment